"When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses, for art establishes the basic human truths which must serve as the touchstone of our judgment." - John F. Kennedy

Thanks for finding me. This is a fairly random sampling of my poetic rumblings beginning in the mid-70s to present day. Not definitive or complete, just things that struck me again for one reason or another on revisiting. There are a couple of previously published collections here which might be good places to start if you are diving in blind from the precipice.

Try the collections MEET THE BEATS or GLIMMERING RAY DUET (both archived in June 2008 in the menu below right) for starters if you are so inclined...

As of 2016, I will be publishing my song lyrics on a seperate page from the more poetic scribblings here. Pieces that first appeared here and then later were arranged for music will remain here in their original form but may appear edited on the lyric page. Check out the links section for the original song blog.

Thursday, October 8, 2015

THE RIGHT THING TO DO (NOT RIGHT FOR ME)


The right thing to do is to let you go
Back to a life that is functional
To something more predictable
Just because you’re so right for me
Just what I need and all I see
Love comes with no guarantee

The right thing to do is to take no risk
to not be swayed by all of this
the easy laughter, that timeless kiss
for just beneath our passion lies
the tingling tenderness that flies
as lightning bolts between our eyes

And some folks say enjoy the ride
but protect that loving heart inside
perhaps the measure of this man
is giving you the best I can
for all I long for is just this -
your everlasting happiness

The right thing to do is to love you more
And leave behind what I adore
Fall back alone just like before
For truly love is sacrifice
And just as true we roll the dice
Hoping love will strike us twice
Before our hearts turn into ice

- September 3, 2015 for BB

No comments: