"When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses, for art establishes the basic human truths which must serve as the touchstone of our judgment." - John F. Kennedy

Thanks for finding me. This is a fairly random sampling of my poetic rumblings beginning in the mid-70s to present day. Not definitive or complete, just things that struck me again for one reason or another on revisiting. There are a couple of previously published collections here which might be good places to start if you are diving in blind from the precipice.

Try the collections MEET THE BEATS or GLIMMERING RAY DUET (both archived in June 2008 in the menu below right) for starters if you are so inclined...

As of 2016, I will be publishing my song lyrics on a seperate page from the more poetic scribblings here. Pieces that first appeared here and then later were arranged for music will remain here in their original form but may appear edited on the lyric page. Check out the links section for the original song blog.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Cruel Words

All new to me
This feeling of solitude
even when surrounded
by friends
family
ghosts
memory
new experience
new life force
filling nooks
crannies of my days.

Still
the hollow
center of my heart
knows not where to turn
solace
slow in coming
peace
distant
though tangible
hope
the tiniest glimmer
but finally
back in the picture.

And how
do I find myself
doing
what I have spent a lifetime
avoiding doing,
acting
out
some
spontaneous
purging
of hurt
anger
need
fear
towards the one
who may
or may not
deserve it most
need it less
expect it
from me
not at all,
the person
I most
don't want to hurt.

Firing back
sharp shards
shrapnel
torn
from the shattered glass
of a heart
I no longer can feel
beating.
Forced from my gullet
by another
in a long line
of misunderstandings
misdiagnosed
misaligned
dramas
the product
of love
gone
bad,
trust
shot
to shit,
love
unaccepted
and squandered,
pain
unresolved.

I have no idea
who this man is
who cannot
be
perfect
who cannot
be
all
she once believed
me to be.

I wake to his shadow
hanging on the wall
above me.
I shut him
into the dark room
and I wait
for him to crawl out
from under
the door
my rusty scepter
of self-respect
and remorse
in my grip
hoping
I am strong enough
to beat him
back
into the dark. 

~ written around late August 2006, Delaware. Most likely on 8/26/06 when it was first published in my MySpace.com/v32unes blog. Dark, introspective days.

No comments: